Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hello, friends, and future friends!

The whole concept of kids learning something just to teach others. It's definitely a paradigm shift! Alvin Toeffler (Future Shock) wrote in 1992 that society was moving from an Industrial Age to an Information Age. Information Age presupposes that there is lots of "information" that people want to have! I knew I would see it, I looked forward to seeing it, but it's been so subtle a change, I think it has still escaped many educators.

Truth be told, there is more information in the world today than ever before, and more being created (do we really "create" information?) every day! In fact, another futurist once said that by the year 2012, the world knowledge would DOUBLE every 70 days! YIKES!

That's almost a case of "the faster I go, the behinder I get."

So in an Information Age, with information being the currency that drives our society, children today have to be in tune with that currency. If it's the only language they have ever heard, I feel they will pick it up much faster than those of us learning a "new language." If information is vital to the survival of the society (I hate to sound so fatalistic), then children will have to learn at a very early age to value information as well as how to "mine" for it, and use it to their advantage.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers